Friday 29 April 2016

Evaluation - Question 2

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups


When developing my magazine, I tried to make it cover a wide range of social groups, age, gender and genre, for example. I think I conveyed this by having a more wide-scale genre of simply pop from the past, which could cover a large range of musical genres from Rock to Swing. In this respect, I do feel that genre may have been evenly spread - however, It is still quite limited, and doesn't necessarily go too in-depth with any other genres besides contents page descriptions. 

Alternatively, I do think that age has been represented fairly in my magazine. At first glance, it may seem like the genres and topics are that of a more older generation, therefore blocking out younger generations. However, I feel I countered this by using fairly young models for my images. This should show that, though mostly concerning music of a generation gone by, it should still grab the appeal of younger generations - closer to that of the 16 to 25 age range that I originally aimed for.

Opposed to this, the magazine uses a lot of darker colours, which may not resonate particularly well with some people that may prefer a more colourful and eye-catching magazine.  I thought that the darker colours would perhaps help to establish the magazine as not being similar to the common pop magazine, however looking back now it may be a bit too dim.

In terms of social class, I didn't set any particular boundaries. Although the magazine may appeal more towards those with more cultural capital, typically found in higher classes. The amount of content included in the descriptions for the contents page and in the double page-spread may put some people off, but hopefully this was counter-balanced by the Pull quotes and headings.

No comments:

Post a Comment